Another HP Pavilion G6 Upgrade

So back in August 2020 I upgraded a HP Pavilion G6 laptop running an AMD CPU.

HP Pavilion G6 CPU Upgrade (AMD Processor)

A few months ago I got some more laptops and one of these was another HP Pavilion G6. After cleaning it up and installing Linux Mint, I checked out the CPU using the Linux command 'lscpu' (list CPUs), which told me that this second Pavilion G6 was running an Intel Pentium 2020M. Compared to the other laptops I had lying around the performance of the Pentium CPU was pretty poor so I started looking for upgrade options. This being an Intel system board (the previous one was AMD), there were some reasonably tasty upgrades so I went for broke and ordered the fastest option, a used Core i7-3632QM on AliExpress for £60. It took about two weeks to arrive and by that time I had done a bit more research on the HP Pavilion G6 series laptops. While cosmetically the 2 laptops I had looked the same, inside they had important differences.


I had downloaded the HP service manual for this model and followed the instructions for dismantling the laptop and getting the system board out. At the same time I cleaned up the fan, which as always was full of dust.


Off came the fan and heatsink and after cleaning the old thermal paste off the heatsink with solvent, I installed the new CPU with a smear of paste before replacing the heatsink and fan.


So moment of truth. The computer booted up and this time 'lscpu' reported the Intel Core i7-3632QM as installed and working, all 4 cores and 8 threads. Other people had reported problems with the BIOS not recognising the new CPU, but this didn't seem to have been the case here, possibly due to a previous BIOS update at some point.

I installed a 128Gb SDD (solid state drive) I had left over from another project and managed to clone the HDD from my other HP G6 to this SDD so that I would have the same suite of software and data. A bit of fiddling and re-installing the boot software Grub2 and it is all working. Boot time to the log-in screen is just 20 seconds and another 20 seconds to the desktop which is perfectly acceptable.

Another laptop saved from the scrapheap!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Update on the touch monitor

Apple iPad SSH Connection to Linux Laptop

Six Inches - Big Enough