Retro Sci-Fi Fonts


I started looking at the classic fonts used in 1960s and 1970s science fiction and identified Eurostile and Futura as the fonts I remember best from films like '2001,' 'Silent Running' and TV series like 'U.F.O.'

I got to thinking how cool it would be to have indicators using these fonts and how to go about making them.  A bit of experimenting and I found that printing the image above onto a transparency made a good indicator which would allow light to shine through the lettering.  The only problem was that the printer couldn't get a deep enough black.  So I figured, print 5 copies of the image, line them up carefully and glue them together to make a transparency 5 times thicker and the black background is really well, black, but light can still shine through the lettering.  A piece of thin white paper behind it all acts as a diffuser and then all that's needed is a good bright LED to finish it off.

I've been playing with this and I'll get a photo of a working version up soon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Apple iPad SSH Connection to Linux Laptop

Update on the touch monitor

Skoda Rapid Heater Re-circulation Motor Repair