This is Not a Drill

A few months ago I bought a mini electric chainsaw from Lidl to cut up wood for the stove. Going by the reduced gas bills I think the chainsaw has almost paid for itself. The chainsaw uses the Parkside 20-volt lithium-ion batteries and I bought a 4Ah battery and charger to run it.

Since then I have bought a couple of other Parkside gardening tools and a larger 8Ah battery which was on offer. In all I've spent about £60 on the batteries so I want to get maximum use out of them.

Now over the last few years I've acquired free or for a couple of quid, several Bosch drills. These are the last of the tools that used NiCad battery packs. The big SDS hammer drill above came with two 24-volt NiCad battery packs, one completely dead and the other almost dead. I bought a couple of 18-volt NiCad packs to run this and a smaller Bosch drill and they have been really useful, especially last summer when I was working on improving the patio lean-to.

So could the Bosch drills be powered by Parkside 20-volt batteries, paving the way to powering all sorts of other things like lighting or USB charging?

I had kept one of the Bosch 24-volt battery packs and gutted the NiCad cells out of it. Next step was to purchase a Parkside adaptor on AliExpress, which cost less than $5.

A bit of tinkering and I had my own adaptor. The only thing that required a bit of ingenuity was keeping the connector at the top of the battery pack firmly in place. It had been held in place by the NiCad cells, but a fettled piece of black plastic pipe of a similar gauge did the job.


And it works. With all of my Bosch drills.

I've ordered up 3 more Parkside battery adaptors and some inline fuse holders, so keep an eye out for more of this.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Update on the touch monitor

Six Inches - Big Enough

Wind Up